Keys to the Past


Crucks; Cruck frames; Cruck trusses

These are timbers leaning against one another, to support a roof. They are usually from the same tree and so face each other symmetrically in their curves. Timbers called trusses place along a building's width are used to support the main body of the roof between the crucks. The crucks may have been visible from the outside, even if a building was finished.

To explore more glossary entries click on a letter.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Z 1-9