Keys to the Past

Local Histories

Starting with T - 16 Settlements found.

A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U W

Tanfield (County Durham)
Tanfield is an attractive rural area to the north of Stanley....


Tarset with Greystead (Northumberland)
Greystead parish lies in west Northumberland not far from the Scottish border. It stretches from the valley of the River North Tyne across high moorland to the county boundary with Cumbria. Today, most of the parish is planted with trees, being part of the border forests of Wark and Kielder. The name Greystead probably means the farm where a reeve lived and was known as Grievesteads in the 17th century. Archaeological remains in the parish date from the prehistoric period to more recent times, but most are medieval and post-medieval sites....


Tarset with Greystead (Northumberland)
Tarset is a predominantly upland parish with little lowland except in the valley of the Tarset Burn around Gatehouse and a portion of the broader North Tyne valley near Donkleywood....


Thirlwall (Northumberland)
Thirlwall is a small parish in west Northumberland with the River Irthing on its western edge forming the county boundary with Cumbria. The parish is a mix of upland grass, heather and marshes with some forestry and only a small lowland strip along the Tipalt Burn....


Thirston (Northumberland)
Thirston parish lies in the lowlands of south-east Northumberland with the River Coquet forming a natural boundary along the north side. There are a range of remains within the parish from the Mesolithic to modern era....


Thornley (County Durham)
The parish of Thornley contains a number of war memorials dedicated to those who served and fell in the First World War and later conflicts. The village memorial takes the form of a large open area with a featured wall that was erected in 1959 and lists the names of the fallen from two World Wars. In 1995 the area was refurbished and a small obelisk was added in front of the main wall that is dedicated to John Youll, a soldier from Thornley who was killed in 1918 but awarded the Victoria Cross. Other memorial plaques and features can be found in the church of St. Bartholomew and in the Working Men's Club.


Thropton (Northumberland)
Thropton is a small parish on the north bank of the River Coquet in central Northumberland, upstream from Rothbury....


Tillside (Northumberland)
Chatton is a large parish in north Northumberland parish lying between the Cheviots and the coastal plain....


Tillside (Northumberland)
The parish of Lilburn lies in north Northumberland on the edge of the Cheviots. It has a rich variety of archaeological and historic sites, including cropmarks, prehistoric burial places, medieval and later buildings....


Tillside (Northumberland)
The parish of Chillingham lies in north Northumberland and reaches from the valley of the River Till up to the western side of the Kyloe hills on Hepburn Moor. Chillingham is the main settlement of the parish together with a few scattered farmsteads. The grounds and parkland of Chillingham Castle occupy a large part of the parish and a fair proportion is open moorland or forest plantations. The name Chillingham means 'homestead of Ceofel or of his sons.'....


Togston (Northumberland)
Togston is a small coastal parish in mid-Northumberland and despite its small size there is a range of archaeological and historic remains....


Tow Law (County Durham)
Tow Law stands on an exposed hilltop on the edge of the North Pennines about 10 miles to the west of Durham. Until 1841 there was no settlement here of any size, only a single home, Tow Law House....


Trimdon; Trimdon Colliery; Trimdon Grange (County Durham)
Trimdon, Trimdon Colliery and Trimdon Grange....


Tritlington and West Chevington (Northumberland)
Tritlington and West Chevington parish lies in east Northumberland, in the North East coalfield. Although there are remains of the coal industry, there are also traces of much earlier human activity occupation....


Tunstall Reservoir (County Durham)
Tunstall Reservoir, near Wolsingham, was built in 1879 to supply industry in the growing towns of Shildon, Spennymoor and Willington....


Tursdale (County Durham)
Tursdale is now a small hamlet in the parish of Cassop-cum-Quarrington. It lies just to the west of the A1 close to the village of Bowburn....
A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U W