Keys to the Past

Local Histories

Starting with P - 10 Settlements found.

A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U W

Pegswood (Northumberland)
Pegswood is a small parish in south-east Northumberland, on the north bank of the Wansbeck and east of the How Burn. There is a range of archaeological remains, many connected with coalmining....


Pelton (County Durham)
The parish of Pelton has a number of sites that are connected to the events of the First World War through the commemoration of those of the area who served and died in the conflict. In Pelton itself there is a memorial within the Methodist church in the form of a communion set with 40 glasses dedicated to the memory of a man of the congregation who gave his life in the war. Multiple plaques dedicated to individual soldiers of the parish who contributed to the war effort can be found in the parish church of the Holy Trinity, whilst a memorial hall was built in the 1920's that served as a more utilitarian memorial, used as the clubhouse for the R.A.O.B. (Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes). The Methodist church in the village of Grange Villa on the western edge of the parish is also known to have contained a war memorial plaque but its whereabouts is now unknown since the church closed.


Peterlee (County Durham)
As a New Town established in the mid 20th century, Peterlee never had a conventional or traditional war memorial, however, an active branch of the British Legion petitioned for the Town Council to erect some form of memorial to commemorate those of the wider general area who fought in the First World War and all subsequent conflicts. The result was a concrete memorial set within a paved area of St. Cuthbert's Churchyard in 1983. It takes the form of a large St. Cuthbert-style cross of bright white concrete known as snowcrete with a dedication stone at the head which simply reads "Lest We Forget".


Piercebridge (County Durham)
The small village of Piercebridge lies on the river Tees. Although not an important site today, in the Roman period it was an important river crossing. Indeed the remains of the bridge built by the Romans can still be seen. It carried the Roman road, known as Dere Street, across the river. Dere Street was the main road north in this part of the country and led up to Hadrian's Wall. Piercebridge was not the only example of a Roman fort on a river crossing in this area; there was fort at Greta Bridge to the west....


Pittington (County Durham)
The village of Pittington lies to the north-east of Durham city. There is evidence of settlement in the area from over 4000 years ago. A number of simple flint tools of the type used by Mesolithic people have been discovered in the parish. These belong to a time before the idea of farming had reached this part of the world, and these early groups would have got their food through the hunting of wild animals and collecting wild plants, fruit and nuts. It is thought that they had no permanent settlements and instead moved through the landscape to find the best source of food according to the season....


Plawsworth (County Durham)
Plawsworth is a quiet village of around forty houses and one working farm, standing about halfway between Durham and Chester-le-Street. It is thought that the Roman road known as Cades Road, that passes through the parish, ran from Great Stainton to the Roman fort at Chester-le-Street (known in Latin as Concangis)....


Plenmeller with Whitfield (Northumberland)
Plenmeller with Whitfield parish lies in south Northumberland, in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, on the boundary with Cumbria. Much of the parish is a high moorland plateau dropping to the valley of the West Allen on the east side of the parish. Beneath this plateau lie the mineral resources of the North Pennine orefield the workings of which have left their mark across the parish....


Ponteland (Northumberland)
Today, the parish of Ponteland is dominated by the busy village of Ponteland and the modern housing estate of Darras Hall, both filled with through traffic commuting to Tyneside and the airport. The surrounding landscape is 18th century in character, with a scatter of country houses and their surrounding parkland. But beneath this tame landscape are the remains of many former settlements and villages, and nestling amongst the modern buildings in Ponteland are many fine medieval and later buildings....


Preston-le-Skerne (County Durham)
The village of "Preston-Le-Skerne" is first recorded in 1091 as "Prestetona" in the Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis and as "Preston super Skiryn" in 1384 in a charter roll held at the British Museum. The name is Old English in origin and probably means the "Tun" or dwelling of the priests. Suggesting an early ecclesistical role for the site or more likley that the village and manor was owned by the Church. Despiute the fact that it is first recorded as a medieval settlement, the discovery of a number of prehistoric flints at Heworth House in 19087 show that people had lived in the area for a long time previously....


Prudhoe (Northumberland)
Prudhoe lies in south Northumberland, on the south bank of the River Tyne, where a mixture of historic landscapes is laid on one another. Much of the parish is urban and some industrialised, though there is also room for some arable farming....
A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U W