Keys to the Past

Local Histories

Starting with M - 12 Settlements found.

A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U W

Marwood (County Durham)
Although marked by the Ordnance Survey as a deserted medieval village, the remains visible at Marwood are more likely to represent a native Romano-British settlement of a type found elsewhere in the north such as at Crosby Garret Fell in the Eden Valley, Cumbria....


Matfen (Northumberland)
Matfen lies in south Northumberland and has a range of archaeological sites, from the remains of Hadrian's Wall to deserted medieval villages....


Meldon (Northumberland)
The parish of Meldon lies in south-east Northumberland, a few miles west of Morpeth. Archaeological remains in the parish date from prehistoric times to the 20th century....


Melkridge (Northumberland)
The civil parish of Melkridge lies approximately 3km east of Haltwhistle, on the uplands north of the River South Tyne. Geographically, it lies almost halfway between the east and west coasts of England, at the narrowest point in England....


Middleton St George (County Durham)
The Ropner Convalescent Home was built in the late 19th century and during the First World War was used as a VAD (Voluntary Aid Detachment) Hospital. In the 1950's a porch extension was built onto the side of the building, which itself was built as a Second world War memorial. A plaque is known to have been located in the porch but this is presumed to have been lost when some of the building was demolished prior to conversion to the flats which now occupy the site. A more traditional war memorial cross is located in the churchyard of St. Lawrence's Church which carries dedications to those of the parish who served and fell in the Great War, WW2 and later conflicts including the Iraq war of 2003....


Middleton-in-Teesdale (County Durham)
Those of the parish who served in the First World War, WW2 and later conflicts are commemorated on a number of memorials around the village. The village memorial is in the form of an obelisk within a garden on an island site on Horsemarket, unveiled in 1921. Many of the local churches, including the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Horsemarket and St. Mary's Church, also contain war memorial plaques dedicated to fallen parishioners and individuals from the local area who fought and died in war.


Middridge (County Durham)
Middridge war memorial cross is located on the Village Green and is dedicated to those of the district who served and fell in the First World War. The memorial was originally unveiled in 1921 but a slab with a raked top was added at the foot of the cross after the end of WW2 to commemorate those who fell in the later conflict.


Milfield (Northumberland)
Milfield lies in north Northumberland on the north-east side of the Milfield Basin. The character of the Milfield Basin is based upon sand, gravel and clay terraces that have often been cut by the meandering Till and Glen rivers. This type of geology lends itself to revealing archaeological sites through cropmarks and, although the parish is small, the archaeology is outstanding with sites ranging from prehistoric henges to an Anglo-Saxon palace. The complex of archaeological sites also stretches into the neighbouring parishes of Ewart and Akeld....


Mitford (Northumberland)
The civil parish of Mitford lies in south-east Northumberland, just west of Morpeth, the county town....


Morpeth (Northumberland)
The historic town of Morpeth stands on the River Wansbeck in the south of Northumberland. Its position as a crossing-point over the river has meant that the area has long been occupied. However, there are few remains from prehistory. The earliest evidence of occupation in the area is a stone axe, which was probably of Neolithic date. Beyond this there is little hard evidence for early settlement. Aerial photographs of the area have shown the cropmarks of a number of rectangular enclosures at sites such as Highhouse Dean. These could be of either Iron Age or Roman date, but none have been excavated, so little is known about them. Any early remains nearer the river crossing have probably been destroyed by later building in the area....


Muggleswick (County Durham)
The village of Muggleswick is located in the north of Muggleswick parish. The parish is on the north-eastern edge of the North Pennines and bounded to the north by the River Derwent. All Saints Church within the village contains a number of features dedicated as war memorials including a First World War memorial triptych and two WW2 features commemorating men who fell in the conflict. The village memorial cross in the churchyard also bears the names of men of the village who died during the two World Wars; 7 names for WW1 and a single name for WW2. It is strange that the WW2 plaques in the church refer to at least three men who died in the conflict whilst the cross only records one. It is possible that those on plaques of the church were not residents of the village or parish and the memorials are later additions to the church by people who moved to the area....


Murton (County Durham)
The village green south of Gregson Terrace contains Murton War Memorial - a large cenotaph erected in 1922 (in appalling weather) in remembrance of those of the district who served and fell in the First World War. After 1945 additional dedications were added to the memorial in memory of WW2. Within the same paved area of the village green is another memorial dedicated to one man in particular, William McNally of the Yorkshire Regiment The Green Howards. A plaque attached to a wall commemorates McNally, who was awarded the Victoria Cross for courage and unselfish devotion in the Great War, bringing honour and glory to the village and regiment. The paved area around the wall and cenotaph were refurbished in 2007/08 with the addition of memorial flower beds and benches....
A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U W