Epiacum or Whitley Castle Roman fort (Knaresdale with Kirkhaugh) - Source of Reference
The information on this website is based on a range of published and unpublished works. Below is a list of the source of information used in writing this record.
(2) Rivet, A.L.F and Smith, C.,1979. Place Names in Roman Britain (London), 360.
(3) Frere, S. and St. Joseph, J.K., 1983. Roman Britain from the Air (Cambridge), 119-20.
(4) Johnson, A., 1983. Roman Forts (London), 49.
(5) Bosanquet, R.C., 1924. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle (4th Series) 1, 249-55.
(6) Shaw, N., 1959. Archaeologia Aeliana (4th Series) 37, 191-203.
(7) Hodgson, J.C., 1827. History of Northumberland, part 2 volume 3 (Newcastle upon Tyne), 74-7.
(8) This site was seen on an aerial photograph (ref: RAF 541/A/439 29.7.48 3189-90). Further details about looking at a copy of this photograph can be obtained from the home page.
(9) Further information about the protected nature of this site can be obtained from here.