Newton Hall shrunken medieval village (Bywell)
There appears to have been a settlement at Newton Hall since the 13th century, although at this date it may only have been a demesne farm. The 1296 Lay Subsidy recorded only the lord, so the farm labourers may have lived in an adjacent settlement but no evidence of this has been found. Records from the 16th century show the estate had been divided into tenements, and by the 17th century a small village was beginning to form. Documents form the 18th century seem to show a decline in the size of the village until, in the later 19th century, the village had reduced to one farm and the site was emparked.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Event(s):||WATCHING BRIEF, West Side, Newton Hall, Stocksfield 2015; The Archaeological Practice Ltd|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Bywell