Allensford Blast Furnace (Shotley Low Quarter)
The remains of a late 17th century blast furnace stand on the north bank of the River Derwent. The site was only in use for a short period of time, probably between 1670 and 1730, and is traditionally associated with swordmakers in Shotley Bridge. The last use of the blast furnace has been dated by archaeomagnetic dating to about 1740, plus or minus ten years. The standing remains include a square stone-built furnace and a calciner. The site was surveyed and partially excavated in the 1970s. This is a Scheduled Monument and a Grade II Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
Scheduled Ancient Monument
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Shotley Low Quarter