Fotherley deserted medieval village (Healey)
Fotherley is mentioned in a number of old documents which give information about the number of people who once lived here. In 1268 the vill was held by two tenants and in 1296 there were eight taxpayers. Although the population probably grew through the medieval period it had shrunk again by the 17th century and today there are only two farms here. Archaeologists are not exactly sure where the medieval village stood, but a hint is given by some earthworks north-west of High Fotherley.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Healey