Quarry House leadworkings (Bavington)
Leadworkings are known at Quarry House from 1736 when a lease to work for lead ore was issued. It was worked again in 1828 but was not very productive. By the first edition Ordnance Survey map in the mid-19th century it is marked as disused. The remains are visible as a series of spoil heaps and a deep trench running to a fenced area where the shaft is presumed to lie, all enclosed by a low bank of earth and stone. A small enclosure nearby might have been a pond for washing ore.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Bavington