West Harle medieval village (Kirkwhelpington)
West Harle and Little Harle were hamlets within the same township township. In 1296 they had nine taxpayers between them. A tower house at West Harle is mentioned in a document written in 1415. A 19th century writer describes the same building as a `mansion house'. The original tower house was probably added to in 1629.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
|Event(s):||ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT, Steadings windfarm - cultural heritage impact, including assessment of cumulative effects 2007; Oxford Archaeological Associates|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Kirkwhelpington