Romano-British farmstead 750m NNE of Quarry House (Bavington)
This farmstead is sub-rectangular in shape and dates to the Romano-British period. It is enclosed by two banks and a ditch, with an entrance through the eastern side which is carried across on a causeway. Inside the farmstead are the foundations of at least three round houses, each about 7m in diameter, and two sunken yard areas. One of the houses was excavated in 1886 and a piece of Roman pottery was discovered. It has been suggested that there may be more than one phase of activity here because the double banks around the farmstead are an unusual feature. This is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Roman (43 to 410)|
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Event(s):||FIELD SURVEY, Some rectilinear settlements of the Roman period in Northumberland; Further notes on rectilinear earthworks in Northumberland: some Medieval and Later settlements 1960|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Bavington