Paper Mill (Humshaugh)
Haughton Castle paper mill was founded in 1788 by Captain William Smith and operated until the 1880s. It was powered by water from the River North Tyne and a large leat and tailrace arch still survive. A drying shed and cottages also stand nearby with drying lofts above. In 1793, the mill was commissioned to make paper for printing forged French assignats, a currency issued by the French revolutionary government, in an attempt to lower its value. This is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Humshaugh