Throckrington shrunken village (Bavington)
The settlement of Throckrington is recorded as early as the 13th century when it was part of the lordship of Prudhoe. Some 18 taxpayers were recorded there in the Lay Subsidy of 1296 and this had risen to 30 by the Poll Tax of 1377. A record of grants made in about 1333 suggests that an open field system of farming was practised. The village survived through the 17th and 18th centuries although it was somewhat smaller - only 11 houses were recorded in the 1666 Hearth Tax. By the mid-19th century only four farms remained, only one of which stood in the village. The remains of former houses and gardens survive as earthworks around the present hamlet, along with areas of ridge and furrow cultivation in fields to the south and east.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Bavington