Swinburne Castle (Chollerton)
Swinburne Castle was first mentioned in the mid 14th century, when permission was given to build battlements on it. By the mid-16th century it was described as being in bad repair. The ruins were demolished in the 17th century and replaced with a new house. This new building is a Grade II* listed building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
|Event(s):||WATCHING BRIEF, Swinburne Castle, Northumberland. A watching brief February to March 2000 2000; ARCHAEOLOGICAL SERVICES UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Chollerton