Halton Chesters Roman Fort (Whittington)
This Roman fort, known to the Roman's as `Onnun' stands on the east bank of Fenes Burn, on the line of Hadrian's Wall. The fort survives as a turf platform, over 1m high in places. Excavations by archaeologists have shown that the fort was probably defended by two outer ditches when it was first built, but that these were later replaced by a single, massive ditch. Aerial photographs show the cropmarks of a number of buildings and roads, as well as parts of the fort's walls. Unusually, the southern part of the fort had an extension to the west, built in the third century AD. Pre-Roman activity is suggested by the discovery of Iron Age cord rig beneath Roman features. This is a Scheduled Monument is protected by law.
|Historical period:||Roman (43 to 410)
Iron Age (800BC to 43AD)
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Event(s):||EXCAVATION, The Fort on Hadrian's Wall at Halton 1936|
TOPOGRAPHIC SURVEY, Haltonchesters topographical survey 1989; RCHME
TRIAL TRENCH, Archaeological investigations at Halton Chesters Roman Fort 1999; TYNE AND WEAR MUSEUMS
WATCHING BRIEF, Halton Shields and Haltonchesters, Northumberland. Archaeological watching brief report 2001; LANCASTER UNIVERSITY ARCHAEOLOGICAL UNIT
WATCHING BRIEF, An archaeological watching brief in association with a coring survey along the B6318 'Military Road', Throckley-Gilsland, Tynedale, Northumberland 2007; Pre-Construct Archaeology
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Whittington