Roman cemeteries at Chesters (Humshaugh)
There were two cemeteries at Chesters Roman fort: one outside the south gate of the fort and the other across the River North Tyne, alongside the Military Way Roman road. The cemetery near the south gate may have been more important and early antiquarians who visited the site record that inscribed Roman tombstones had been found there; more recently an altar was discovered in the river bank together with a piece of architectural masonry. The second cemetery lies on the east bank of the river and human bone, an urn and samian pottery were discovered here when the railway was built in 1857. This is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Roman (43 to 410)|
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Event(s):||GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY, Magnetic and resistance geophysical survey at Chesters Roman Fort, Chollerford 2003; TIMESCAPE RESEARCH SURVEYS|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Humshaugh