Winnowshill Friends' Meeting House (Healey)
Former Friends' Meeting House at Winnowshill. Photo by Peter Ryder.
Part of the burial ground near Winnowshill Friends' Meeting House showing an inscribed tablet. Photo by Peter Ryder.
The Meeting House was built in 1766 for the Society of Friends or Quakers as they are also known. It now stands in ruins, one wall has completely collapsed and the others stand about two metres tall. There is a burial ground about 90m south of the chapel surrounded by a stone wall, but there are no memorials left. An inscribed tablet of stone reads: CONSECRATED BY 55 INTERNMENTS BETWEEN THE YEARS 1718 AND 1877. THIS OLD BURIAL GROUND AND ADJOINING MEETING HOUSE OF THE SOCIETY OF FRIENDS ARE MEMORIALS OF THE PREACHING OF GEORGE FOX WHO IN THE YEAR 1653 WRITES OF DERWENTWATER. THE EVERLASTING WORLD OF LIFE WAS FREELY PREACHED OVER THOSE DARK COUNTRIES AND MANY HUNDREDS WERE TURNED TO CHRIST THEIR TEACHER. The chapel now stands close to the edge of Derwent Reservoir.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Healey