Keys to the Past

Hush and lead ore works (Blanchland)

Hush and lead ore works 750m north east of Burntshield Haugh. Photo by Peter Ryder.
Hush and lead ore works 750m north east of Burntshield Haugh. Photo by Peter Ryder.

The remains of an 18th century lead mine and ore works lie on the western edge of Burntshieldhaugh Fell. The earliest feature is a conical shaft mine, surrounded by a ring of spoil. It stands at the top of, and is cut by, the largest feature of the mine, a hush, which measures 550m long and up to 10m deep. Each side of the hush are areas of dressing waste and mining spoil that have been sorted, or graded, into piles of different size. There are also remains of several buildings that were mine offices and a collapsed lime kiln. The hush has a dam at its upper end, still with a pond behind it. A leat runs from the dam to the mouth of the hush. At the bottom of the hush are remains of a lead ore works. Another dam and leat lie at the bottom of the hush and would have allowed water into a curshing mill. The remains of three settling tanks and other drainage features survive as earthworks as well the foundations of some small buildings. This is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.

Reference number:N8372
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Legal status:Scheduled Ancient Monument

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Blanchland


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.