Dukesfield Smeltmill (Slaley)
An old smelt mill stood to the southwest of Dukesfield Mill bridge. It was built in the late 18th century. The ore came from the lead mines owned by Beaumont family in Allendale. The site was demolished in 1836, and now there is nothing to be seen here apart from the arches of the flue, which are Grade II Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
|Event(s):||GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY, Dukesfield Smeltmill 2012; Timescape Surveys|
TRIAL TRENCH, Dukesfield Smeltmill 2012; The Archaeological Practice Ltd
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Slaley