Newbiggin medieval village (Blanchland)
The earliest records of Newbiggin come from the 13th century. In medieval times it was a manor and township in the lordship of Bolbec. Early records give some idea of how many people lived in the township, for example in 1262 tenants and cottars numbered 14 and in 1296 four taxpayers were listed. The township was raided by the Scots in 1346. By the 18th century there seems to have been an extensive settlement here, but by the mid-19th century there was little left. Today there is a hall and a farmstead. The hall may stand on the site of the deserted medieval village but there are no earthworks visible.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Blanchland