Brown Dikes Roman temporary camp (Newbrough and Fourstones)
The remains of a Roman temporary camp stand at Brown Dikes, about 450m south of the Hadrian's Wall vallum. It survives as an almost square earthwork enclosure defined by a rampart, outer ditch and outworks. The ramparts are on average 5m wide and the ditch is 3m wide. The north and east gates have extra defences on the outside of the camp. Although there are no Roman structures visible in the camp the remains of several medieval shielings lie in the south-east corner. This is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Roman (43 to 410)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Event(s):||AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY, Hadrian's Wall Landscape from Chesters to Greenhead 1999; T GATES|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Newbrough and Fourstones