Pele Tower (Wark)
A bastle or pele tower was first mention at Wark in 1399. A tower was next recorded in 1415. This was probably the same `fortress' mentioned in 1541, though a few years earlier it was recorded that no defences stood in Wark. In 1804 workmen clearing ground in front of a building in the village found the foundations of a large square building with thick stone walls. This may have been the remains of this tower. There are no remains to be seen here now.
|Historical period:||Medieval (1066 to 1540)|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Wark