Keys to the Past

Haydon Old Bridge (Haydon)

Haydon Old Bridge. Photo by Northumberland County Council.
Haydon Old Bridge. Photo by Northumberland County Council.

The old stone bridge across the River South Tyne at Haydon Bridge may date back to the late 17th century but stands on or near the site of the medieval bridge, first recorded in 1309. It has six arches with triangular cutwaters to help the flow of water around the piers. The oldest parts of the present bridge are similar to the Corbridge Bridge of 1674 but it has been rebuilt after flood damage in the 18th and 19th century. At several times in the 17th century the bridge was destroyed, and people had to rely on a ferry to cross the river after floods in 1722 and 1771. In the 19th century one of the arches fell into the river in 1806 causing three arches to be rebuilt, only for two more arches to be carried away by more floods in 1815. In 1824 the bridge was widened and in 1829 a flood carried away the parapets. Since that time, the bridge has been reinforced with concrete and a temporary bridge was built alongside it in 1967. The old bridge is now closed to vehicular traffic but still open to pedestrians. This is a Scheduled Monument and Grade II Listed Building protected by law.

Reference number:N7653
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Legal status:Listed Building
Scheduled Ancient Monument

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Haydon


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.