Staward Manor (Haydon)
Staward Manor appears on first glance to be a 19th century house. However, two post-medieval bastles are incorporated into the structure. The west end is a bastle with walls about 0.75m thick and some characteristic bastle features on its south face. These include a blocked ground floor doorway, with a monolithic lintel, and a blocked first floor doorway with an inscribed lintel bearing the letters G B C 1668 (for George and Celia Bacon). The second bastle is incorporated into the main block of the house, largely built between 1835 and 1840. The development of the building is quite complex and its architectural decoration and detail are unusual in such a defensive building. This is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Roman (43 to 410)
Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
|Event(s):||PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY, Towers and Bastles in Northumberland 1995; P RYDER|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Haydon