Allerwash shrunken medieval village (Newbrough and Fourstones)
The earliest record of a settlement at Allerwash is in the 13th and 14th century. There was a large settlement here in medieval times that gradually decreased in size after the mid-17th. Only three farms and a turnpike road marked on a late 18th century Armstrong's map and in 1844, one farm and three cottages are depicted. An early 18th century plan shows the village had a green with houses scattered at the east end and along the south side. West of the houses was a group of enclosures called 'Tofts' which probably marked the earlier shrinkage of the settlement. No earthworks survive to show the extent of the former village.
|Historical period:||Medieval (1066 to 1540)|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Newbrough and Fourstones