Stonecroft shrunken medieval village (Newbrough and Fourstones)
The earliest record of a settlement at Stonecroft is in the 13th century when it is mentioned in the Iter of Wark for 1279. It was mentioned as a hamlet in 1325. Hexham Priory held land here in medieval times, but the village does not seem to have grown much. An 18th century map shows five houses here, but by 1844 only two remained and today there is a house and a farmstead.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Newbrough and Fourstones