Thornton medieval village (Newbrough and Fourstones)
The earliest record of a settlement at Thornton is in the 13th century, when it was held by the Comyn family. They had to forfeit Thornton during the Scottish wars in the early 14th century. Thornton has declined since the 14th century and now no more than a farmstead and two houses. The exact site of the village is not known, as there are no earthworks, but it probably stood near the remains of the tower.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Newbrough and Fourstones