Wharmley medieval village (Newbrough and Fourstones)
The earliest record of a settlement at Wharmley is in the 13th century when it was recorded in the Iter of Wark for 1279. Since the 14th century, it seems to have remains little more than a hamlet and now contains one farmstead and three cottages. Two groups of low earthwork enclosures are all that remain of the medieval settlement.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Newbrough and Fourstones