Bastle at The Golf House, Chesterwood (Haydon)
The remains of a post-medieval bastle are built into the outbuildings of an 18th century cottage at Chesterwood, Haydon. The bastle is one of five fortified houses at Chesterwood. The cottage is known as `The Golf House' and `The Old Pele House'. Local tradition is that an 18th century celebrity, Frank Stokoe, lived here. The bastle is known by archaeologists as Chesterwood V. This is a Scheduled Monument and Grade II Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
Scheduled Ancient Monument
|Event(s):||PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY, Towers and Bastles in Northumberland 1995; P RYDER|
TRIAL TRENCH, Chesterwood Bastle (The Golf House), Haydon Bridge 2009; Alan Williams Archaeology
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Haydon