Gordon's Walls, Kielder Water (Falstone)
The remains of a small farm now lie by the edge of Kielder Water reservoir. The farm consists of a range of buildings and an enclosure. Part of the building appears to be much older than the rest and may be the remains of a 16th or 17th century bastle. Here, at the west end of the range, the walls are 1m thick and stand 1.5m high. This older building probably measured about 9m by 6m. The site is now used as a picnic site overlooking Kielder Dam.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Event(s):||MEASURED SURVEY, Excavation and Survey on the Starsley Burn, North Tynedale, 1972 1972|
PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY, Towers and Bastles in Northumberland 1995; P RYDER
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Falstone