Cross shaft at Falstone Church (Falstone)
A number of fragments of early medieval crosses have been discovered in Falstone since the 19th century. One was found in the churchyard, and others were discovered built into a farmhouse and a garden wall. At one time they were kept in the church but were moved to the Museum of Antiquities at Newcastle in 1978. There has been a little confusion over the number of fragments found and how many cross shafts they represent, but all the pieces are now thought to come from one cross. It is made up of three pieces, themselves each made up of smaller fragments. They are decorated with leaves, bunches of berries, plant scrolls and interlace patterns and probably date to the later ninth century.
|Historical period:||Early Medieval (410 to 1066)|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Falstone