Medieval chapel at Falstone (Falstone)
A number of churches are known to have stood at Falstone through the post-medieval period but, although there are a few references to a medieval chapel here, its location is uncertain. A chapel is mentioned in 1541 and in 1650 it was suggested the chapel was rebuilt and made into the parish church. In 1813, the discovery north of Falstone of an inscribed stone carved into the shape of a small house suggested this may be the site of the medieval chapel .The stone measures 32cm long by 17cm high and is inscribed with Roman letters and runes and is thought to have been made before the Norman Conquest in 1066. The text has been translated as, 'in memory of Hroethberht, a monument of the uncle: pray for his soul.' The carving may have stood on a small pediment and might have been built into the wall of a church.
|Historical period:||Early Medieval (410 to 1066)
Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Falstone