Chatley Crags ring cairn and shieling (Henshaw)
These remains were first discovered in the 1990s when archaeologists visited the site on several different occasions. Each time the interpretation of the remains has changed and they have variously been described as an enclosed cremation cemetery, stone circle and ring cairn. It is a roughly oval enclosure measuring 30m by 25m inside a bank of earth and stones. This bank is 2m wide and a series of upright stone slabs line its inner face. Some of these stones have been moved in medieval times to build a shieling in the centre of the monument. Part of the ring cairn was excavated in 1994 and this showed it to have been a complex structure with several phases of use. This work also found a large pit in the centre of the ring cairn that probably originally had a burial in it. This is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Medieval (1066 to 1540)
Bronze Age (2600BC to 700BC)
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Event(s):||TOPOGRAPHIC SURVEY, Survey and excavations at a stone circle on Gibbs Hill Farm 1994; ARCHAEOLOGICAL SERVICES UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM|
AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY, Hadrian's Wall Landscape from Chesters to Greenhead 1999; T GATES
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Henshaw