Penpeugh bastle (Bardon Mill)
Penpeugh is a remote farm high on Ridley Common. The barn on the south side of the farmhouse was originally a bastle. The original structure was about 9m by 6m and had thick stone walls. It was probably built in the late 16th or early 17th century, though alterations were made in the 18th century. The bastle is unusual in having its main ground floor entrance in the long wall. Usually they were found in the shorter wall of the building. This is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
|Event(s):||PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY, Towers and Bastles in Northumberland 1995; P RYDER|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Bardon Mill