The Bastle, Tow House (Henshaw)
This is a post-medieval bastle built in the late 16th century. It has been altered over the years, in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, and is now a house. The bastle part of the building measures 9.9m long by 7.1m wide and has walls 1.4m thick. It is built of large blocks of stone with a plinth course made of boulders and massive corner stones. Despite having been altered there are still many original bastle features to be seen. For example, at the west end is a byre doorway, narrow windows (or loops) in the east and south walls, and stone wall cupboards in the south and west walls. This is a Grade II* Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
|Event(s):||PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY, Towers and Bastles in Northumberland 1995; P RYDER|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Henshaw