Haltwhistle Old Tower (Haltwhistle)
Until the 1960s, a medieval tower house stood in Haltwhistle, close to Castle Hill. It was three storeys high and probably built in the 15th century. It is mentioned in medieval documents dated 1416. The tower may have been partly rebuilt in about 1600 and was added to in the 17th century. Unfortunately it was demolished in about 1963 but some of the old stones still lie in a garden nearby.
|Historical period:||Medieval (1066 to 1540)|
|Legal status:||Conservation area|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Haltwhistle