Hill House Bastle (Bardon Mill)
This is an outbuilding to the north of Hill House, alongside the village street. It was probably originally a bastle, a fortified farmhouse. Although the walls are not very thick the stones from which it is built are large. It was probably originally built in the late 16th or early 17th century, but reduced in height and re-roofed in the early 18th century. It is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
|Event(s):||PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY, Towers and Bastles in Northumberland 1995; P RYDER|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Bardon Mill