Bradley Hall farmhouse (Henshaw)
The remains of a medieval or early post-medieval defensive house have been incorporated into the farm buildings at Bradley Hall. Some of the walls are 1.35m thick and are probably those of a bastle, built to protect a family and their farm animals from border reivers in the 16th or 17th centuries. A survey made in 1541 mentions a stone house at Bradley and, rather than it being a reference to Bradley just to the north, may be referring to these old buildings at Bradley Hall. Although the farm has been altered and some of the buildings have been converted to new houses, some original features can still be seen in the old outbuildings. These include a small wall cupboard or locker built in the thickness of the wall, and a small window.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Event(s):||BUILDING SURVEY, Bradley Hall, Henshaw, Northumberland 1991; P RYDER|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Henshaw