Grandy's Knowe bastle and farmhouse (Bardon Mill)
The ruins of this rectangular building is 9m by 7m and has walls built from large squared blocks of stone over 1m thick. The walls survive to a height of about 1.5m except for the east end and east part of the north wall, which form part of the neighbouring farmhouse. This farm is arranged a rectangular yard, with the farmhouse on the north-west side and the ruins on the east. The ruins are probably those of a bastle, built in the 16th or 17th century as protection against raiders. This site is a Grade II Listed Building and a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
|Event(s):||BUILDING SURVEY, Grandy's Knowe: historical and archaeological assessment 1998; P RYDER|
TRIAL TRENCH, Grandy's Knowe 2008; The Archaeological Practice Ltd
BUILDING SURVEY, Grandy's Knowe 2008; The Archaeological Practice Ltd
TIMBER SAMPLING, Grandy's Knowe tree-ring analysis of timbers 2009; English Heritage
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Bardon Mill