Corn-Drying Kilns (Bardon Mill)
Two corn-drying kilns have been built at Housesteads. One is added to the guard-chamber of the south gate, inside a bastle and the other to the south granary. These kilns were used to heat corn and other grain to make it dry enough to grind into flour. They date to the late 17th to 18th century. They are Scheduled Monuments protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Event(s):||WATCHING BRIEF, An archaeological watching brief in association with a coring survey along the B6318 'Military Road', Throckley-Gilsland, Tynedale, Northumberland 2007; Pre-Construct Archaeology|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Bardon Mill