Roman watermill on the Caw Burn (Haltwhistle)
The remains of a Roman watermill were discovered by excavation between 1907 and 1908. It was a square stone building that stood next to an artificial channel cut across a bend in the stream. This channel had been lined with wood and a weir had been built nearby to direct the water into it. Many large pieces of millstones, some pottery and a Roman coin were found and dated the mill to the third century AD. Around the whole mill complex was a bank and ditch. The mill was probably associated with Great Chesters Roman fort. Unfortunately, the mill is now buried under a heap of spoil from the nearby Cawfields Quarry and there are no visible remains. This is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Roman (43 to 410)|
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Haltwhistle