Friends Meeting House (Coanwood)
The interior of Coanwood Friends' Meeting House after repair works in 2001. Photo by Northumberland County Council.
Friends' Meeting House at Coanwood. Photo by Northumberland County Council.
This is the only Friends' Meeting House in Northumberland to have been spared a major refitting in the 19th century. The only major change may have been the remodelling of the roof, which originally had a steeper pitch and was presumably thatched. It now has a Welsh slate roof. Inside there are two rooms. The biggest room has front facing open backed benches. At the west end is a raised stand with one eastward-facing bench below (with shaped ends on either side of a central set of three steps up to the stand) and another (provided with a foot rest) backing on to the end wall, which is boarded to its full height. The other walls simply have a dado rail. The eastern room has a fireplace in the centre of the east wall, with an old grate. The two rooms are divided by wooden screens with opening shutters, which can be folded upwards to metal hooks from the ceiling to create one large room. Outside there is a walled burial ground with mainly recent gravestones (one broken one may be 19th century in date). The date 1760 is carved on the Meetings House door lintel. The Friends Meeting House and graveyard are Grade II* Listed Buildings protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
|Event(s):||BUILDING SURVEY, The Friends' Meeting House, Coanwood 1998|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Coanwood