Kielder Castle (Kielder)
Kielder Castle was built in 1775 by architect William Newton from a design of the Duke of Northumberland. The Castle was built in the Gothick style, and used as a shooting box. The castle was rebuilt in the mid 19th century and although the exact date of this work is unknown is seems to have been completed by 1867. The castle was little used in the 20th century following its sale to the Forestry Commission in 1932. However, it was converted into a visitor centre in the 1980s and 90s. Kielder Castle is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Kielder