Dykes Chapel (Coanwood)
This is the site of a former Wesleyan Methodist chapel, now demolished. The chapel was replaced in 1883 by a new chapel nearby, now known as The Old Chapel. It remained in use as a Sunday school until 1922 when its stone was used for the new schoolroom at the East Coanwood Chapel. The only clues to the site are a blocked opening in the field wall beside the road and a change in character of an adjacent wall, probably marking the northeast corner of the chapel or chapel enclosure. It is not shown maps published in 1860, so it must have been demolished by then.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Coanwood