The Old Chapel (Coanwood)
A Wesleyan Methodist chapel, dated 1883, with a schoolroom added in 1922, is located on the south side of the minor road. The interior of the chapel has no old features except for its roof. The interior of the school room wing is largely original, with a lectern or reading desk at the west end, an interesting original roof and the original range by T Altham and Son, Penrith, in the kitchen. The original plans of the school room were by Hastewell and Smith of Rhos-on-Sea, Colwyn Bay and are retained by the owners. The chapel is documented as 'a neat Gothic edifice' and cost £435, raised by subscription, and accommodated 200 people. It replaced an older chapel at Dykes which continued to serve as a Sunday school until 1922, when it was demolished and the stone reused in the new school room. The use of a Gothic façade, probably taken from a copy book demonstrates the increasing interest of the congregation (or donors) in sophisticated architecture.
|Historical period:||Victorian (1837 to 1901)
Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Coanwood