Bloody Bush (Kielder)
The traditional site of a battle between English raiders returning from Scotland and their Scottish pursuers is marked by a stone pillar, erected at some time in the post-medieval period. The pillar itself is exactly on the England/Scotland border. A 19th century coal road, in use in 1828, runs past the pillar. A tollhouse was set up on the road sometime soon after 1834. The pillar is a Grade II* Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Kielder