Garden and medieval field system, Inner Farne (North Sunderland and Seahouses)
Attached to the south wall of St Mary's Chapel is a trapezoidal enclosure, created and levelled up by Archdeacon Thorp in 1843 as a garden. The ground level in the garden is higher than the surrounding land and up to 2.5m above that of the eastern court. It may be the site of the monks' garden or St Cuthbert's barley field and part of it may have been a graveyard for St Mary's Chapel. South of the monastic buildings, more than half the island is covered with the remains of medieval ridge and furrow. The garden enclosure appears to overlie the field system. This is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Event(s):||FIELD SURVEY, National Trust survey: the Farne Islands 2010; Archaeo-Environment Ltd|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of North Sunderland and Seahouses