The Craster Arms (Beadnell)
The Craster Arms contains the remains of a medieval tower house. It forms the rear half of the main block of the building. It measures about 9m by 7m ,and is built of large roughly squared stone 1.5 to 1.8m thick. The first historical reference to the tower is from a will of 1587. Such towers were built as a defence against raiders from Scotland in the late medieval and early post-medieval period (14th to 16th centuries). The rest of the building was added in the 18th century.
This a Grade II* Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Beadnell