The Old School House, South Charlton (Eglingham)
The Old School House is a much altered bastle. It was built in the 16th or early 17th century and altered in Tudor style about 1840 to make it into the local schoolmaster's house. The walls are about 90cm thick on the ground floor but get thinner on the upper floor. Some original bastle features have survived, including a blocked byre doorway and a blocked slit, or narrow opening. This is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Eglingham