Keys to the Past

Duddo Tower (Duddo)

Duddo Tower. Photo by Northumberland County Council.
Duddo Tower. Photo by Northumberland County Council.

This medieval tower house stands in a very prominent position on crags south of Duddo village. Although only a fragment of the building is still standing, this is the south-west corner of the tower, it is about 9m high. The tower was built of stone and traces of windows and part of a parapet are visible. In the 19th century, the remains of the tower were supported by extra masonry added around its base. Despite this, some large pieces of fallen stonework lie on the south-east side of the tower and are the remains of a projecting turret. The ruin was recorded and drawn in the 19th century giving us an important record of what it once looked like. Then, the tower had a projecting wing on the south front that contained the entrance and stair, and there was a barn-like building standing nearby. Historical records of the tower exist from the 15th century, when it was destroyed by James IV of Scotland in 1496. The remains that stand here today probably date to the late 16th century. This is a Scheduled Monument and Grade II Listed Building protected by law.

Reference number:N2339
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
Legal status:Listed Building
Scheduled Ancient Monument
Event(s):PHOTOGRAMMETRIC SURVEY, Duddo Tower 2004; Mason Land Surveys

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Duddo


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.